A meaningful prevention, which always works, does not exist. Often, certain diseases cause insomnia, which can not be avoided by special measures. Good sleep hygiene can be a way to reduce the risk of sleep disorders.
However, there are some rules that are summarized under the term of sleep hygiene. Who heeds this, increases the chance of a peaceful night considerably.
The rules of sleep hygiene
- Make sure you have a cool bedroom temperature (around 18 degrees).
- Avoid as much as possible, disturbing noises and unnecessary light sources.
- Pay attention to a regular sleep rhythm (also on weekends).
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine or alcohol in the evenings.
- Avoid watching TV immediately before going to bed.
- Do without a long afternoon nap; short periods of rest (10-30 minutes) are allowed.
- Do not try to force yourself to sleep , just get up and drink a cup of milk with honey and try again.
Behavioral therapy before sleep disorders occur
Those suffering from emotional problems should not be afraid to seek psychological help early on. Certain conflicts can not be solved in principle. By behavioral therapy measures, however, it is often possible to deal better with stressful situations – ideally even before sleep disorders occur .